Did you know that the U.S. exports about one-third of its recycling – and nearly half goes to China? China has used recyclables from around the world to supply its manufacturing boom. But now China has declared it will no longer accept recycled materials due to the high volume of non-recyclable items in the containers. The shipped recyclable materials end up in the trash since it is too expensive to sort through the received containers.
As savvy as many are about taking care of our environment, a few reminders are always helpful. The following items are often found in containers and can NOT be recycled,
- Any containers contaminated with stones, dirt, and food waste.
- Ceramics, such as dishware, ovenware, and decorative items.
- Heat-resistant glass, such as Pyrex.
- Mixed colors of broken glass.
- Mirror or window glass.
- Metal or plastic caps and lids.
- Plastic bags (except in special collection bins)